Hello all –
- Asking you to submit a letter to the editor: LTE to get placed this week; see here. Let me know if you need help submitting to your newspaper.
- Help spread the word! Share sample social media posts here and images here to share
Let me know if you have questions or feedback.
State Parole Reform Strategy Call
September 14, 2020
State organizers and policy advocates met by conference call to discuss reform efforts addressing extreme sentencing and long-term sentences. Callers from several states including Alabama, California, Colorado, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New York. Previous calls included organizers and/or policy advocates from Michigan, Ohio, and Washington, and other states.
The call focused on planning for the September Actions marking the 49th anniversary of the Attica Uprising to demand prison releases amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Callers focused on:
· Update on state events: see overview here and calendar here.
– Callers heard from organizers in California and New York who had virtual events and rallies earlier this month.
– If you have changes or new events to share please email Nicole at email@example.com
· Publicity for state events (weekly emails; toolkit)
– TSP sending announcements for weekly activities this week and on Sunday
– LTE we ask state advocates to work to get placed this week; see here
– Social media posts here and images here to share
· Update on national event including speakers. Run through(s) scheduled for Thursday, September 17th.
· Call for action brainstorm
– CARES Act
– Highlight state activity including state legislative reforms to direct audience members to
– CLEMENCY Now – actions targeted to governors and connecting to established infrastructure with the National Council, ACLU Redemption Project, and/or develop other material to connect audience members to
We are scheduled for the national action on September 21st at 3pm eastern (register here). We will debrief national action and state actions on Monday, September 29th. Details about that video call will be shared closer to the date.
Nicole D. Porter
Director of Advocacy
The Sentencing Project
Campaign to End Life Imprisonment
1705 DeSales St NW, 8th Floor
Washington, DC 20036
Comments are closed.